As a Dallas College student, you can train for a growing career in telehealth in
less than six months.
- Affordable cost
- Financial aid available
- Flexible online schedule
- Externship with a major Dallas hospital system
- Hands-on learning
Telehealth is the use of remote health care through videoconferencing, e-health patient portals, remote monitoring of vital signs, continuing medical education and much more. It allows patients to safely visit with their provider from the comfort of home or during a break at work.
Are you interested in a career in telehealth?
Telehealth as a Career
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, demand for telehealth services skyrocketed 154%, which created a demand for workers skilled in patient care as well as technology.
- 26% of jobs within the health care industry now require the use of technology. This percentage is only expected to grow.
- Due to COVID, health insurance plans now cover telehealth visits.
- Telemedicine has emerged as a powerful tool in health care and is here to stay.
All data gathered for Dallas/Fort Worth. Source: Dallas College Labor Market Intelligence
Dallas College and UT Southwestern Joint Program
To address the demand created for patient care professionals with technology support skills, Dallas College and UT Southwestern Medical Center are working together to offer the Telehealth program. Students who complete the program will benefit from:
- Patient Care Technician certification
- Google IT Support Professional certificate
- An online externship (like an internship, but shorter) with UT Southwestern that lets students gain experience solving actual telehealth problems that may happen in a clinical setting
If you have already earned PCT certification or a Google IT Support Professional certificate, you can still participate in the Telehealth program. You would simply skip the part you have already completed.
What type of job can I get?
- Telehealth clinical technician
- Telehealth technician
- Telemedicine support specialist
- Telemedicine coordinator
- Telemedicine assistant technician
- Health technician (telehealth)
What classes will I take?
- Patient Care Tech/Assistant (NUPC 1020 54192)
- Patient Care Tech/Assistant II (NURA 1091 54192)
- Google IT Support Professional (ITSC 2039 54100)
- Telehealth Virtual Externship (NUPC 1091 54194)
Students must successfully earn both the PCT and Google IT certifications to participate in the Telehealth virtual externship.
View Class Schedule
Can I get financial aid?
Texas Public Education Grants (TPEGs), for tuition only, are available to individuals to take career or occupation-related courses.
Learn more about financial aid and see what you qualify for.
What will I learn?
- How to communicate effectively (including nonverbally) with patients in a virtual space
- How to create an action plan for troubleshooting and overcoming technical challenges in a telemedicine environment
- How to increase patient engagement and education through remote health monitoring
Contact us! We're your dedicated student support team.