Journeyman Brewer and Technical Brewer

​​​Check out what’s on tap at Eastfield's Journeyman Brewer program. With support from more than 20 local brewery partners, the program offers a hands-on certificate that will give current and aspiring brewery personnel the skills they need to meet the needs of the growing beer industry.

Journeyman Brewer/
Technical Brewer Program at a Glance


How Long Will I Train?

Campus course: Six weeks
Online course: Eight weeks

The Technical Brewer course track requires one year of practical brewing experience and the completion of the Journeyman Brewer Certificate or an assessment test. Classes are self-paced. A mandatory practicum component must be completed by the end of each course track.


How Much Will I Spend?

Journeyman Brewer: $3,600
Technical Brewer: $5,000

Learn about financial aid.

Learn More About the Journeyman Brewer/Technical Brewer Program

Topping 48 other states, the Texas craft beer industry contributed more than $2.3 billion to the Texas economy in 2012, according to a study released by the Brewers Association (BA), a national nonprofit trade association representing independent craft breweries in the United States.

Texas trailed only California in the impact craft breweries had on state economies. The study tracked craft beer as it flowed through the three-tier system (from manufacturer to distributor to retailer), along with items such as food and merchandise that are sold in brewpubs and brewery taprooms.

The Brewers Association’s findings echo another 2012 study analyzing the economic impact of craft brewing in Texas, commissioned by the Texas Craft Brewers Guild, a nonprofit trade association representing most Texas craft breweries for advocacy and promotion of Texas craft beer. The Guild’s study projected a potential economic impact of $5.6 billion by 2020.

According to the BA study, the Texas craft brewing industry delivered impressive results:

  • #2 ranking nationwide in overall economic impact in 2012 with $2.3 billion
  • #3 ranking for labor income produced by craft breweries through direct and indirect economic impact
  • #4 ranking for number of full-time employees related to the craft brewing industry

The BA study also ranked Texas 34th nationally for economic impact on a per capita basis for adults 21 or older in the state. This finding clearly demonstrates that while Texas ranks among the leaders when assessing raw economic impact, there remains significant room for growth.

Search for RSTO classes ​​in the Dallas College Continuing Education Schedule.


Journeyman Brewer/Technical Brewer (CE Skills Award)

Courses Required:

  • RSTO 1001 - Beverage Management
  • RSTO 2086 - Internship - Restaurant, Culinary, and Catering Management

​​Important: Check the CE schedule​ to verify if and when the class is currently being offered.

Enroll Now

A One of a Kind Program

The Eastfield Brewery program is the only one of its kind in the southern region of the United States. It produces highly qualified employees who meet the demand for certified brewers in the booming craft beer industry in Texas and the region. The program achieves this through face-to-face, online and hybrid instruction. Specifically, the Journeyman Brewer program directly partners with more than 20 local breweries that provide live learning labs at their facilities for 40% of the program's instruction, with the other 60% happening at Eastfield in a traditional classroom setting. Since its creation, the Eastfield Brewery program has produced a 98% job placement rate, and it will continue to do so by expanding its partnerships. The pairings of these classes create a pipeline that enables the hobby-beer-lover to become a head brewmaster and/or craft beer business owner.


Looking to earn more? A career as a journeyman or technical brewer can start you on the path to a great career in the culinary, food and hospitality industry.