The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification is an entry-level certification that will train you to provide basic life support and emergency health care in settings such as an ambulance agencies, hospitals and fire departments.
Working as part of an emergency health care team as an EMT is a rewarding, fast-paced career that can truly make a difference in a person’s life during their greatest time of need.
The EMT certificate includes classroom and laboratory instruction, emergency ambulance experience and hospital rotations with an emphasis on emergency department experience.
The program includes instruction in basic life support, such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation, automatic external defibrillator use, patient physical assessment, bandaging and splinting, traction splinting, spinal immobilization, airway management, medication administration, oxygen therapy and other noninvasive procedures.
Steps to Enroll
The EMT course is open enrollment. A student may follow the registration steps on
eConnect to enroll at any time the registration process is open. Registration is how students secure their spot in the EMT program.
If using financial aid to pay for the EMT program, the aid must be awarded and accessible before the first day of class. Please contact the Financial Aid Office with further questions.
If you are not able to register, please contact Ms. Carmona-Gonzalez.
We offer EMT classes year-round, so please
review our class schedule to find a training class that works for you. El Centro offers several course formats to help meet the needs of all of our students (availability of formats varies):
- Face to face
Cost of Training
Prices are subject to change and are approximations.
- HLTZ 1000: $40
- BLS for Health Care Provider CPR card (MUST be taken at El Centro)
- EMSP 1001 (EMT course): $1,540
- EMSP 1060 (EMT clinical course): $144
- Dallas Fire and Rescue EMS ride-along: $50
- Liability insurance: Fall $11.70/Spring $8/Summer $5
- Textbook (estimated cost): $184.94
- Uniform shirt (available at El Centro’s bookstore): $36
- Supplies needed (available at El Centro’s bookstore): stethoscope, trauma shears
- Castle Branch Account: $25
Upon course completion, you will be responsible for the following expenses in order to receive your EMT certification:
- Fingerprinting (approximate cost): $50
- Criminal background check: $45
- Drug screening: $42
- State fee (payable to Texas Department of State Health Services): $64
- NREMT exam (payable to National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians): $80
- TB test — chest X-ray (if skin test is positive)
Immunizations (may vary by clinic and vaccinations needed):
- Combination measles/mumps/rubella (MMR) (two doses)
- Combination tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (TDaP)
- Varicella (two doses)
- Hepatitis B series (three injections/ TwinRix)