Mentorship. You will be paired with a mentor who has successfully navigated higher education to give you advice and encouragement in your first year of the program.
Cultural and community events. Throughout the year, you will attend events that either deepen your understanding of college and/or celebrate cultural and academic milestones. Events include Family Night (Noche de Familia), a career and transfer readiness program for students and parents.
University tours. You and your classmates will visit nearby universities to explore transfer opportunities and create a sense of belonging at the transfer institution.
Leadership opportunities. Strengthen or deepen your connection to the campuses and community with the following activities:
- Join the Ascender student club during your second semester to create a sense of community and belonging.
- Become a work-study student on campus and earn while you learn.
- Attend career and college workshops with sessions including financial aid, scholarship applications, soft skills development, employer networking opportunities and resume and employment preparation.
- Attend the annual statewide Catch the Next Transfer Motivational conference for students at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Participate in the Catch the Next internship. Aspiring writers are paid to cover Ascender through the John Siceloff Journalism Internships at all partner institutions.