Requirements for Candidacy (Texas Election Code 141.001(a); Texas Election Code 130.082(d), (g); Texas Gov’t Code 601.009:
To be eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to the Dallas College Board of Trustees, a person must:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
- Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
- Totally mentally incapacitated; or
- Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date:
- For an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate's application for a place on the ballot.
- For a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate's name is written in.
- For an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made.
- On the date described by number 5, be registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected.
The Board of Trustees election will be held Saturday, May 7, 2022. The following documents are required for filing:
- Application for Place on the Ballot, Form 2-21;
- Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate, Form CTA
- Candidate/Officeholder Campaign Finance Report, Form C/OH https://www.ethics.state.tx.us/data/forms/coh/coh.pdf
Please note the following:
The period for filing a candidate's application begins Wednesday, Jan. 19, 2022 and ends Friday, Feb. 18, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Applications will only be accepted during this period. No exceptions will be made.
- Please carefully read the instruction guides for all forms required by the Texas Ethics Commission and the Secretary of State.
- As a candidate for the Dallas College Board of Trustees, you do not need to file any of your election forms with the Secretary of State.
Please file all election forms with the local filing authority:
1601 Botham Jean Boulevard
Legal Department, Suite 208
Dallas, Texas 75215
If filing in person, applications will be received during regular business hours, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. If filing by mail, applications will be considered timely filed if post-marked by Friday, Feb. 18, 2022.
Once you file your Application for Place on the Ballot (Form 2-21), you are a candidate for election and are required to file the Appointment of Campaign Treasurer form (Form CTA). Remember, you must file Form CTA before you accept a campaign contribution or make or authorize campaign expenditures, including expenditures from your personal funds.
Information filed with the local filing authority (Dallas College) is subject to disclosure under the Texas Public Information Act.
Please file all of your election documents with either:
Torsha McCarty, Dallas College Elections Administrator, 214-378-1703, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tricia A. Horatio, Dallas College Associate General Counsel 214-378-1707, email@example.com
Remember, a document is considered filed only when it is received by the local filing authority.
Thank you for your interest in the Dallas College Board of Trustees’ election.