Active Military: Frequently Asked Questions

​​What are the prerequisites for registration if I am an active military student?

  • Student Agreement/Degree plan: You must call us at 972-669-6400 and file a degree plan. A degree plan must be on file with us in order for you to receive any veterans' benefits or financial aid.
  • Texas Success Initiative: This is an assessment of students' basic skills in reading, mathematics and writing. 
  • Computer Skills Test: Required unless you meet certain criteria.
  • EDUC 1300: This course may be required depending on whether you meet certain criteria.

Which classes am I financially covered for? Are there any exceptions?

Yes, there are exceptions. The classes for which you will receive either Tuition Assistance or Veterans Affairs benefits must follow the degree plan of your choice.

Do you offer any scholarships?

Yes. The Picquet Military Scholarship, the Ted Pohrte Distance Learning Scholarship and the LeCroy Scholars Program.

What is Tuition Assistance (TA)?

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Congress has given each military branch the ability to pay up to 100% of tuition expenses for its members.

Learn about the Dallas College Military Tuition Assistance Refund Policy.

Where do I apply for Tuition Assistance (TA)?

If you are eligible for Tuition Assistance (TA), please see your TA counselor at the Education Center on base to proceed through the TA process and register for a course. You may scan and email the approved TA voucher to or fax it to:

Attention Business Office, 972-669-6585

Can a Military Spouse get Tuition Assistance (MyCAA)?

The Department of Defense's expanded Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts program (MyCAA) will provide up to $4,000 of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing associate degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields.

Who is eligible for MyCAA?

Spouses of active duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2 and O1-O2, as well as the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks. Spouses of guardsmen and reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders. Please Note: The MyCAA program does not include Coast Guard spouses.

What does MyCAA pay for?

MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) funding is limited to associate degrees, certifications and licensure programs.

How do I get started with MyCAA?

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA Account by visiting the MyCAA website. Once spouse profile information is provided, MyCAA will verify spouse DEERS benefit eligibility. Eligible spouses will be allowed to create their Career and Training Plan and request FA when they are within 30 days of course start dates. Additionally, spouses are responsible for applying to their selected school or program and enrolling in each course included in their approved MyCAA Career and Training Plan.

How do I get my military transcripts?

Do I need to submit official military transcripts as well?

Yes. We need official military transcripts from SMART, AARTS, CCAF, etc.