First-Time Hazlewood Claimants

Anyone who has not used the Texas Hazlewood education benefits at Dallas College before, even if awarded the same benefits at another institution, is considered a first-time claimant.

  1. Gather the documents below and have them ready to upload electronically.
    • Hazlewood Act Exemption Application – Download current application from the Texas Veterans Commission (TVC) Hazlewood website, complete and sign. Review documentation requirements and have them ready to submit.
    • Hazlewood Student Hours Report – Required each term to receive Hazlewood benefits.
      *For Legacy students BOTH the veteran’s and the student’s hours must be submitted.
    • DD 214 – Service 2 or Member 4 copy showing: Home of record, place of entry, dates of service and character of discharge.
    • Dallas College Registration Summary (eConnect - login required) – Submit for every semester you want to claim your education benefits.
    • Program of Study (POS) – In order to calculate required Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), veterans and Legacy students must select a program of study in eConnect under the Financial Aid heading. For Legacy students ALL classes must be required by the POS.
      *Students using the spouse/dependent benefits are not required to designate a POS.
    • Proof of Age -- (Hazlewood Legacy only) Must be 25 years old or younger on the first day of the semester or term.
    • Dallas College Standards of Progress -- Information regarding requirements for the use of military connected benefits at Dallas College. Please read and sign, highlighting any areas you would like additional details.
    • VA Certificate of Eligibility – Provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for GI Bill® benefits by requesting a certificate of eligibility for federal education benefits from (if veteran has active duty service after 9/11/2001).
      *Not required for Legacy recipients where the separation date is prior to August 1, 2009, and the separation is listed as “Discharge” or “Retirement.” (To include those medically retired, temporary or permanent).
    • Relationship documentation – (Hazlewood Legacy or spouse/dependent Hazlewood applicants only) Must show direct relationship with veteran or dependent status on IRS transcript of tax return from current or previous year.
    • A Disability Rating Letter or Report of Casualty (DD Form 1300) – Hazlewood spouse/dependent Hazlewood applicants only.
  2. Submit Dallas College Online Request for Benefits.
  3. Your submission will be reviewed and you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the required information and documents. For information security, it is important to follow the instructions.
  4. Submit required documents and information. Incomplete submissions cannot be processed. Please contact the campus military-connected services office for assistance as needed.
  5. You will receive follow up information regarding your submissions and any additional requirements.
  6. Changes – Report all enrollment changes to the campus military-connected services office at your home campus.
  7. Following semesters: For each following semester you must submit a new online benefits request. This is required for both VA and Hazlewood benefits and allows us to ensure all criteria are met and you are receiving the correct benefits and assistance. If you remain continuously enrolled, follow the instructions for Continuing Hazlewood Students. If you took a break and did not attend the following spring or fall term, follow the instructions for Returning Hazlewood Students.