What jobs can I get? How much can I get paid?
Why Is This a Good Career Bet?
The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex’s thriving tourist and convention businesses create strong demand for qualified personnel in a competitive food and hospitality industry.
CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, projects job growth of 30% for chefs and head cooks and 24% for food service managers through 2024.
Food service plays a major role in work at:
- Cruise ships and railway lines
- Cafés and bistros
- Bakeries and pastry shops
- Catering businesses
- Magazine test kitchens
- Public and private schools, from elementary to university level
- Grocery and specialty food stores
- Institutions such as hospitals and nursing homes
Salaries vary widely according to the type and size of the food service operation. A large metropolitan area such as the DFW metroplex has more career possibilities than average, with higher salary ranges.