Recruitment for Summer 2023 Has Begun
The session will be in-person (but students can participate virtually as needed) at the Cedar Valley Campus of Dallas College. Students must still meet the eligibility requirements based on their grades. To receive more details regarding enrollment, please email Fred Osei-Frimpong or
Dallas College PREP and Commissary Is Very Necessary INC. Partnership
The Dallas College Pre-freshman Engineering Program (Dallas College PREP) is partnering with the Commissary Is Very Necessary Inc., a non-profit educational organization, to present the 2023 summer PREP at the Cedar Valley campus.
The Commissary Is Very Necessary Inc. manages the Nature STEAM Academy. This Pre-TexPREP program introduces students in grades three (3) to five (5) to science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics field studies (as
Year 0 of PREP).
What Is TexPREP?
The Pre-Freshman Engineering Program (PREP) is a summer enrichment program for middle and high school students in grades six through 12 who have demonstrated mathematical ability at school. PREP allows pre-college students to study STEM subjects — science, technology, engineering, and math — in a college setting.
PREP sessions run for six weeks, beginning in June and ending in July each summer. Space is limited, and participation in PREP is by admission only.
Applications for this Dallas College Pre-freshman Engineering Program (PREP) summer program are usually available from February to May. If accepted, students (and their parents/guardians) should plan to attend a required orientation session.
PREP is an academically intense summer enrichment program that seeks to acquaint students with professional opportunities in STEM/STEAM, reinforce academic preparation for studies in STEM/STEAM higher education, create an environment in which students can learn, explore, achieve, and discover, and provide emphasis on student personal accountability and self-efficacy.
For Year 0 of PREP, students must:
- Be entering the fourth, fifth, or sixth grade in the upcoming academic year.
- Contact Tamia Parker (firstname.lastname@example.org) 214-207-9905 for application packet.
To qualify for Year 1 of PREP, students must:
- Be entering the seventh, eighth, ninth, or tenth grade in the upcoming academic year.
- Have permission from a parent or guardian.
- Have a grade of 85 or better in mathematics.
- Have a grade of 85 or better in either science or English.
- Have satisfactory conduct grades.
- Obtain recommendations from two teachers.
- Write a short essay on the topic, "Why do you want to attend TexPREP?"
To qualify for Years 2, 3 and 4, students must submit:
- Be prior year participants of PREP
- Complete the application Package (through email).
- Submit the most current middle/high school report card.
- Submit a prior year’s TexPREP transcript if they participated at another PREP site.
Current Program Information
application deadline for 2023 TexPREP at the campuses of Dallas College is
- TexPREP will be offered in-person this Summer 2023. Students can participate virtually if they need to be off the Cedar Valley campus for any duration.
- The program starts
June 12, 2023 and ends
July 21, 2023. Classes are from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Parent/student orientation will be in-person at the
Cedar Valley Campus on Friday, June 2, 2023 in Room M121/122 from 6 - 8:30 p.m.
- Parents/students are encouraged to bring their laptops/tablets/electronic devices for login/account setup exercises.
- Parents/students must contact Fred Osei-Frimpong (email@example.com) for the application package excluding the online application.
- Students must click the link or scan the QR code to apply online for the program.
Contact a TexPREP coordinator for more information about the Texas Pre-Freshman Engineering Program at Dallas College.