International Students Resource Guide


  1. DART
    • Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is a transit agency serving the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex in Texas. DART operates buses, light rail, commuter rail and high-occupancy vehicle lanes in Dallas and twelve of its suburbs.
  2. Airport Transportation
    • The DART— Orange Line will transport you from the airport to Lyndon B. Johnson Central Station.
    • Bay 4 — Line 582 will travel from LBJ station to Dallas College Richland Campus.

To be approved for an apartment, you will need the following:

  1. Completed application
  2. Bank statement with funding to cover the lease terms
  3. Proof of income (The bank statement must be at least three times the monthly rent)
  4. Passport with visa
  5. I-94

Please contact us if you need assistance with finding an apartment or roommate.

Dallas College strongly recommends that international students obtain health insurance for the duration of their studies. Lack of health insurance puts a student at risk of serious financial challenges if medical expenses are incurred and a student is unable to pay, and a student could possibly have to return to the home country.

To open a bank account in the United States, you will need two forms of identification and a United States physical address. Here are acceptable documents:

Step 1: Gather your documents


  • Foreign passport with or without passport visa (with photo)
  • U.S. Nonimmigrant visa and Border Crossing Card DSP-150 (with photo)
  • Mexican, Guatemalan, Dominican or Colombian consular ID (with photo)
  • Canadian citizenship certificate card (with photo)

Secondary ID

  • Foreign driver's license with photo or U.S. driver's license
  • U.S. student ID validated for current term or school year (with photo)
  • Debit or major credit card with Visa or Mastercard logo
  • Major retail credit card from a nationally, well-known company
  • U.S. Department of State Diplomatic ID
  • Mexican voter registration card (with photo)

U.S. Physical Address

  • Government-issued ID with photo
  • Student ID with address and photo
  • Current utility bill with your name and address
  • Other (rental agreement, etc.)

Step 2: Visit the banking institution

Visit the banking institution to submit an application. Pick a time and location that’s convenient for you. You can also contact the bank to schedule an appointment.

  • To seek employment on campus, you can view jobs by checking Greenlight: Greenlight Credentials – Dallas College. After applying for a position, you must wait until a decision has been issued on your application. If you are offered an interview, then you will be contacted by a department representative.
  • F-1 visa students are not eligible for federal work study positions.
  • You cannot exceed part-time work hours (20 hours per week).
  • Visit career services for resume writing and mock interviews to become more marketable for campus positions.

After you have received a job offer, you should contact your designated school officer (DSO) for a social security card request document. Once you have received the SSC document, then you can schedule an appointment for your social security card. You will need the following documents: I-20, I-94, passport with F-1 visa, job offer letter and the SSC request form.

To apply for your driver’s license, you will need to take the following documents to the local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

  • I-20
  • Valid passport and valid I-20 or DS-2019
  • Form I-94
  • Completed application and application fee
  • TWO documents that prove Texas residency:
    • Current rental/lease agreement that includes your name and is more than 30 days old
    • Water bill, electric bill, internet bill or cell phone bill with Texas address dated within 90 days of application date but at least 30 days old
    • Paycheck/pay stub with Texas address that is less than 90 days old but at least 30 days old
    • Mailed bank statement with Texas address that is less than 90 days old but at least 30 days old
  • Proof of Social Security Number — If you do not have one, you will sign an affidavit to attest you are not eligible for an SSN.

To apply for a cellular phone, you will need a passport and F1 student visa. Most college campuses, cafes and other public places offer free and reliable Wi-Fi connections. And by using free apps like Skype or WhatsApp, you can call or message your family and friends without eating into your monthly data allowance or driving up your phone bill.

Tutoring is available remotely through Blackboard and in person at all seven Dallas College campuses. Tutoring offers academic improvement from writing to math, including STEM.

Success Coaches are available remotely and in person with appointment or as a walk-in at all seven Dallas College campuses. Success Coaches aid in selecting a program of study, assist with registration-related questions and holds. They can also help in understanding financial aid, scholarship and transfer requirements.

Accessibility Services is available at all seven Dallas College campuses. Accessibility Services offers a variety of accommodations for students with disabilities or special requirements.

Student Life is located at all seven Dallas College campuses. Student Life is where you get your student ID, but they provide so much more. Student Life offers clubs and organizations so you can become involved on campus and make an impact; events and activities to expand your network and make friends; Service Learning for opportunities to serve your community; and leadership development where you can increase your cultural awareness and appreciation of others.

There is a library at all seven Dallas College campuses that offers in-person and virtual services. The library provides reliable resources for class assignments, a quiet place to study and access to quality materials. The library also has a devices loan program.

Career Services is offered at all seven Dallas College campuses. Career Services provides career exploration and planning, job search and application assistance, resources, and skill development through workshops.

Study abroad is offered during the summer semesters. Study abroad expands your world view, increases intercultural competence and makes you more marketable to future employers. Students can participate in one of the international studies or study abroad programs offered through Dallas College.

Dallas College Emergency Aid Fund and Federal Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) assist students who are considering putting their education on hold due to a financial emergency. Open to all students who are enrolled, have a valid student ID. Students can apply once per semester.

The Good Neighbor Program provides tuition assistance to students from nations of the Western Hemisphere (other than the United States of America or Cuba). The program encourages students to pursue higher education in the state of Texas and establish beneficial relationships between the state of Texas and the students’ home countries. Students must be a native-born citizen and resident of an eligible country and intend to return to the eligible country to live after completing the program of study. They may not be a dual citizen of an eligible country and the United States of America. They must have resided in the Western Hemisphere for at least five years and not be a member of the Communist Party. Students need to have met the basic scholastic and other admissions requirements of a participating institution and filed a selective service statement of registration status and proof of status with their institution.

The Texas Public Educational Grant program provides grant assistance to students with financial need. Texas residents, non-residents or foreign students can apply. Proof of financial need and registration for selective service or exemption from this requirement is required. Completion of the FAFSA application is required.

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. Students that are classified as a Texas resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are encouraged to complete the TASFA. If you’re a foreign student or non–U.S. citizen residing in Texas, you may still be eligible to be classified as a Texas resident for tuition purposes. If so, you may also be eligible to receive state financial aid. You may be eligible for Texas state-sponsored financial aid if your residency status is NOT U.S. citizen, permanent resident with an alien registration card (I-551 visa), conditional permanent resident (I-551C visa) or eligible non-citizen with an arrival/departure record (I-94 visa). An alternative to the FAFSA (Federal Application for Student Aid), TASFA enables resident noncitizens to be eligible for in-state tuition and apply for need-based grants and loans.

The Dream.US offers two scholarships. The National Scholarship is for high school or community college graduates. The Opportunity Scholarship is for students who live in targeted, locked-out states where they cannot get in-state tuition. Your eligibility for both is based on where you live.

The scholarships for international students can be found at myScholarships with each scholarship’s provided eligibility requirements. For additional scholarship assistance students can call at 214-378-1555 or send an email to

The Student Care Network is the central and first point of contact for any Dallas College students who may have a personal, emotional or medical concern.

Part of the Student Care Network, the food pantry is at all seven Dallas College campuses. The food pantry supplies range from snacks and meals to diapers. Everything is free to students in need.

Part of the Student Care Network, the clothing closet is in all seven Dallas College campuses. The clothing closet provides clothing for whatever purpose you need for free.

Part of the Student Care Network, the Housing Insecurity Network helps in seeking shelter and paying utility bills. SCN also offers rental assistance. Students must complete the Dallas College Student Care Intake Form for eligibility.

Part of the Student Care Network, Counseling and Psychological Services are offered at all seven Dallas College campuses in person or virtually M-F. If you are feeling overwhelmed or anxious, a campus counselor can help you find practical solutions to personal or academic problems. Mental health resources are also available.

Part of the Student Care Network, Health Services promotes and provides health, wellness and preventative care to meet the needs of college students, employees and the communities it serves.